Aapko aunty chahiye??

Don’t be too shocked at the title, this is the first line I heard at least 55 times I picked up my cell phone after posting the Ad for babysitter on sulekha.com.
Yes, It s 6 months now that I started working again after about 8 month of break at home. I work for a mid-size pharmaceutical company in Edison, which is about 3 miles from my home and a compelling reason to start working again.
When I started, I had a friend’s mom who offered to provide babysitting and it worked out well for 4 months. He got the love and affection of grand parents and care of being at home. Nothing could have been better than that. As nothing lasts forever, they had to go back home to India and I started looking for a babysitter. We were not considering day care at all with approaching winter followed by viral attacks especially on younger kids. My other option was to get any baby sitter and request my MIL to come. So I start spreading words to mouth, I talk with many of my friends; neighbors try to get referrals to no avail. Finally as many suggest, I post an ad on sulekha a month before I really need someone to start. That’s when it starts to pour in.
I started getting calls and emails left and right. Initially I started talking and asking question but after few calls. I knew the exact questions I need to ask and if they work only then I will meet the babysitter.
I got calls from all kind of babysitters from various part of India in all age ranges. Some couldn’t work with my schedule; some did not fit in budget and most wanted to be stay-home –nanny which was unacceptable with me. There were many who couldn’t speak either Hindi or English and suggested I still hire them and communicate via their daughter/son who replied to my posting. Err…
After talking to 90ish callers, sorting 50ish emails and meeting 3ish baby sitter I found Naina Aunty. She is a very kind and caring babysitter with a passion for cooking and feeding. She was glad that I will drop her off in evening while her son brings her to in morning. She has no problem with staying late as and when needed (though she gets late in morning mostly, I can understand and will live with that) which outweighs the care and affection she showers on my kids. She deals with my 6 year olds tantrums (I might want to add that she was locked out by him on her first week at work) and cooks amazingly tasty food for us and the kids. Initially I went home during lunch, sometimes unannounced only to find her busy with various things or the baby. She takes him out to parks weather permits, advises me various home remedies, sometimes bring lunch from home for me, follows me for grocery and sometimes reminds me of my mom.
The bottom line is , when I leave home in morning with a peace of mind that my child is in good safe hand , I look at the mirror while adjusting them I smile remembering “ Aapko Aunty chahiye”.

Comments

Unknown said…
hume Aunty chihiye! any referrals?

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है