Reading Gitanjali

Recently, I was reading Gitanjali. The collection of poems by Ravindra nath Tagore - That won him and India the first Nobel Prize and Only in Literature. I always wanted to know what was there that got attention of the most prestigious award ceremony known to world. That too from somebody across the globe, what is this all about after all.
The book - I bought from the book store in Calcutta. My hometown and the only place I lived for 1st 20 years of my life. I bought 2 copies - other i presented to my sister. I doubt if she ever read it. Well I started reading it - its small book - some 100 pages that’s all. I read the poems and I re-read them and then I read them again. It’s like unfolding mystery. All the poems some in simple words from the heart of a simple man and directed to masses - in honor of the super power, the eternity.
The poem that touched me most was about poet writing how he likes to give sweets to the child to see his face lit. And then realizes how and where the fruits on trees get all its sweetness.
Amazing! I read it and realized what he is trying to convey the 1st time and was WOW.
Something I would love to keep with me.
A must read and keep.
I read it before going to sleep and now Pratyush asked me what I am reading. I said Gitanjali.
He asked - Read it to me.
Seeing his eagerness - I read few pages to him and Stopped.
Well He asked me to read more. So here we are, I am reading few pages from Gitanjali to my 4 year old every night for his bedtime story. Sometimes he takes it from me and read pages with his made up story about people, his friends, some real - some imaginations. And yes - He know the book as written by Rabindra Nath Tagone .
It’s timeless and eternal, Gitanjali to god.

Comments

Gajendra said…
Prabhaji,
Read Samskrit Maithili shiksha column at 'Videha' http://www.videha.co.in/ Your painting poem/prose all are so good.
The general column i referred above
will get you write samskrit/nmaithili.
Thanks.
Gajendra

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है