My memorial

WTC

Every morning I take the NJ Transit train from Metuchen station in NJ to arrive at a Path Station at Newark NJ which connects NJ to NY. The Path Trains are more like the Metro is Calcutta and NJ Transit is like those Local Trains running above the ground, except people are better mannered and trains though crowded much quieter and calmer. Of course not to mention – it’s a working class crowd having prestigious jobs in NY. They commute so much – Because it is worth it and mostly they are satisfied with it. So the psyche of the crowd is different. You wouldn’t fine a women with an infant in train or young kids trying to get to school or even old couples traveling for site seeing – its just people dressed generally in grey black and white – reading Wall street Journal or a book, or having a Shut-eye on the head rest.

No one talks to each other or smiles. Very mechanically people are climbing on and off the train.

Well, I arrive at WTC and if I am not in the right compartment which stops right down the stairs- I crawl with the crowd to get on those stairs inch-by-inch we move toll we get to the tallest escalators I have seen around, to get us on the ground.

Today is not just any other day, its 9/11 – Seventh anniversary, Do I need to say further?

It doesn’t strike me when the Path is delayed by about 10 minutes before entering the station but it is all over as soon as I get out of the station. Seeing NY Police at the WTC is a common site- They are there all the time checking bags of people they feel should be suspected or just to keep people aware that They are there watching and they are alert. Well I would say, Majority of people who step down those escalators do have an ID hanging at a very visible part of their clothing which is required by every Financial or non-Financial companies in the NY City. So its easy for commuters or may be the cops are face readers and they never stop people rushing to get that train, missing which will delay they arrival home by 30 minutes or more.

I get out at I see more cops that usual, A lot more in fact. The street is lines by uniforms. The sidewalks packed by their cars and other cars with dark glass panels. I get goose bump seeing families holding the US Flag in memories of their loved once and more behind them. Fire Fighters holding the USA Flag and a hard look on their face and glassy eyes. I wonder how it would have been 7 years from now. I know my husband in one of these trains approaching WTC right when it was hit by the second plain. It was his manager who asked his to get off the train before it arrived and he was saved by being part of the disaster. Well it wasn’t less than a disaster to him, that he married me 7 months later. Jokes apart – It was a miracle. 7 Citi employees did lose their lives. So many others lost their lives that were at work right at time. It was an inhuman act- planned to kill the innocent hard-working people. The same kind of people who climb on and off the train with me every morning. The kind of people who call their wives when the train is delayed and ask them to have their tea as it will take them longer to get home. The same kind of people who ask their friends to pick up their kids because they can not make it in time to be there with watery eyes and worried look. Every day, one of these days was it wasn’t it. That they dint get a chance to call and let anyone know and just never came back home.

The Greenwich Street was flooded with NYPD cars and Cops. As long as I walked. I do not doubt that they have got the whole NY City downtown covered.

I salute those firemen who lost lives while battling to save some. And I hope and Prey this never happens to anyone- We all deserves to get back home everyday to be with our beloved. That what we live for and strive for.

My memorial to 9/11.

Comments

Aman said…
hi, i came across ur blog by searching the maithil keyword. have u painted all those pictures displayed on ur blog. they r really good

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है