Shackels of Life-Good Enough!!

Well Here I go again. I read the article how the housing market has
picked up after August http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27083134/?GT1=43001
and then again another article claiming the US is headed to the worst
recession in history http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27083134/?GT1=43001.
A perfect day to begin with, though I am very happy for Alta and can
feel the thrill for her that she will be singing at Avery_Fisher_Hall in
New York on Dec 13th. I will de my best to be there and since it's a
show for kids, Pratyush might enjoy it as well. I am really delighted
and want to wish her all my luck. I admire people who work hard to live
their dreams and achieve what they targeted for. The weather is somewhat
dull now though it was quite sunny in the morning. The wonderful color
of dawn that I see from my bedroom window makes my day. I wish to live
in that house all my life, collect cherries and peaches after summer and
garden in spring and do parties in my winters or chat with friends by
the fireplace all winter long.
Tomorrow is Vijaya Dashmi , while yesterday was Durgaashtami - We went
to Durga Temple feeling sorry for the NJ Police who were controlling the
traffic near temple. Which is usual sight at every Hindu festival and
there are so many of them, I bet they are tired of it. Well Mandir was
very crowded, Women, kids and men dressed in Indian cloths poured in. As
soon as we entered Pratyush said, Mamma It smells like temple and I said
Of course it will as we are here. We happened to meet 2 of our
acquaintances there as well. While Praveen stayed away I wanted to go
from where I can see the goddess close enough. I ventured leaving them
talking to the friends. It was poorly organized and people were using
same entrance and exit which wasn't making it any better. Anyways who
cares, I just had to pass along - I felt the same tug which I do every
time I am in front of the deity. As if she is telling me - What are you
doing here? I cry every time I am there, don't know why. Does it
overflow because I am so happy? Or does it make me sad as it reminds me
of home and where I belong. Well I was glad that at least I made it to
the temple which is like 27 miles from my house during the weekdays.
Pratyush had his dinner before we left and so he retired in bedroom soon
after we came back. While I prepared our dinner and Praveen followed the
Obama and McCain debate.
We called it a day somewhat around 10:30 PM which was late based on our
recent schedule. We noticed Pratyush was still not fully asleep which
way toolate was for that little fellow. I felt bad for him thinking no
matter what time he sleeps he will have to get up and go to the day care
tomorrow morning when we leave for work. I can not wait to be home and
be with him whenever he needs me. That brings up another long list of
to-do for me when I will be home.
I was done with the first half of the manuscript for the book yesterday
which is 42 pages, I am targeting 120 pages and I gather now that it
will take me longer than I was planning for. I forwarded the copies for
editing and waiting to hear back. I must work on the rest of it, I will
start from tomorrow. I will be happy if I can get it printed by my
birthday which is quite a realistic ambition.
Today I attended a conference call with a webinar which was about
balancing life work and family. This included time management skills and
other way to cut down on unproductive things and concentrate on things
that make real difference in life.
Well , before the seminar begin there were some technical difficulties
and they had to switch the call from a toll free no to a tolled no,
while they did that we lost some time and when we were back on the call
the host started with an apology. And I promptly commented that "well
this is good enough". While the seminar went on for about an hour the
last 20 minutes were dedicated to answering any questions from the
audiences. The host mentioned how much she liked when one of us said
that it was good enough, and the life was all about it focusing on what
we have and make up for what is lost by setting up some realistic goals.

I asked her about how can we deal the guilt for missing on things in
life for our significant ones , such as if I am missing on the Halloween
day parade for my son while every other parent is there. She suggested I
can convey it in advance in a calm and cheerful way instead of making
the child feel guilty for asking me to be there and showing how and you
felt about it as well. Rather make up your own parade around the house
or in the neighborhood, or just participate in the trick or treating. I
liked it very much. Also when I heard about a mother of 13 and 8 years
old saying she skips one night sleep every week just to get the
household chores done. I was shocked. But yes people do all that so that
they can deal with life. But it was not something we were planning to
achieve here - she was recommended to get help from family and delegate
the tasks instead of burning herself out. Also I heard from a mother of
13 year old who travels from PA to NY for her work and leaves home 4:30
in morning to get back home only after 8 PM , well her daughter chips in
the household chores so that her mom can make time for her when she
returns. This women taught her daughter not only independence but also a
respect for others life especially the beloved one. Aren't those also
some of the significant skills we need to have in life apart from
excellent vocabulary and smart mathematical talent?
I was glad I participated in the call. They also provided a no. that I
can call back whenever I would require counseling on managing life. That
would be confidential and free as Citi employee. Wow! That's great!
I loved it. It also inspired me to go and visit the farm market that
sits close to my office every Wednesday. Which did take me some 30
minutes but I could call my brother in Delhi and shop for some basic
grocery items. Wasn't that good enough!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है