Janani - The Mother


Janani - The Mother
Originally uploaded by prabhaJha

Yesterday evening as I left from my office, I met Nancy (name is changed) in the elevator and since she was also headed to the Path station, we walked together. She said she is leaving early so she can vote which she couldn’t do in the morning. I remembered my friend from Brooklyn who voted early morning and was disappointed when she dint receive the sticker that said she did so. And a cabby shouted as she passed “Do not forget to vote today” Alas! Only if she had the sticker.
She is a VP in finance area and was very helpful in scheduling my move. I was surprised to know she has been in Citi for over 23 years now. She has this perfect hair and I kept wondering how she manages them, well finally I asked and she told me all about it. Talking about business, the focus of conversation for employees these days is The List. The list your seniors might be making ad you can be on it. She also mentioned the same thing confirming she wouldn’t wonder if it was her on the list now. I asked her why does she think so, after all there has to be some reason if somebody is there on the list and somebody is not? She kept nodding without jotting any reason as such. I asked her is it that if you are expensive, shedding you from the payroll can cut down a lot of expense and that might be a reason how people are chosen? She dint completely agree saying, you might be cheaper but a few of you could be equivalent to that expense and it might be wise to pick some less-expensive people as well. Then I put forward”Does it then depends on who is the favorite of their manager”? She agreed as that is most important factor, if you manager is ready to lose you. She said I am not my manager’s favorite because It’s not him that I really work for but people like you who come up and talk to me and I process their tasks. So here it goes. She also added that they might see losing me wont have any impact because I fully do my job and so there is never a word and they feel I haven’t been doing much. I was confused, so if you are making more noise around yourself and about yourself you win some immunity for the position you hold?
We separated as she ran to other compartment and I settled with the first door of the path train. I concluded as we waved “So the following week is going to be of changes in US history and Citi Group” and that was the universal reality we completely agreed upon standing at the World Trade Center, do I need to say more?
The news is all over the globe today (unless there is other creatures/world/alient keeping tabs on us) that Barack Obama is the 44th President of USA. Both my friend from Brooklyn and Nancy had voted for him after all.

Comments

Aman said…
Although we are seeing pink slips everyday in India, it was good to know the state of the US from an Indian.

It was shocking to know that even top post holders with so many years of experience are being shown the door.

Also Tell thanks to Nancy for giving that small piece of advice - show that you are working to be considered a valuable worker.

Tell me how it feels to work in the US now. Do you fear for your own job?

I too blog at http://chronicleofmylife.wordpress.com. If you want you can read it in your pastime.

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है