Too much of good stuff…


Milk Babies
Originally uploaded by Pyogenes Gruffer.

It is true that sometimes when we have too much of something in life, we do not appreciate it anymore.
It is a known fact but when it involves people and relationships it might cause heart breaks.
I am not the “Easily offended types” or making this judgment based on one instance, not even thinking like that because of some hormonal surge. I have felt it since I was all excited more than 5 years back for arrival of my baby. Me and my husband being youngest in our families, I felt the happiness and excitement was limited to two of us. Our parents were already blessed with at least 5 grandchildren each, no wonder no body came up suggesting names or knitting scarves and sweaters for my newborn. I made bunch of crazy stuff when my sister was pregnant and I was in school, also noticed my mom making millions arrangement effortlessly for her first grandchild.

During pregnancy, family did check on my health but I did not get any advice or felt the eagerness of wait in the voices. It was very much just-another-baby-to-be-born. Except for me and my husband, who made sure to stick the bedding set and did all kind of research possible on every toy, car seat, formula, cloth, diaper or stroller bought. We even made sure to listen to right kind of music and read Ramayana.

My parents visit to look after me is always lined up with the excitement t o visit my brother in Seattle and their boys, after all they are the first grandsons and being traditional Hindu how much time can someone live at the daughter’s house. No matter how much excitement I show or how much plans and arrangement I make surrounding there visit, it seem as if they count days for their visit to the son and when they return they are counting days for the departure. Not that they love me any less or care any less but I guess it is just a matter of being in different places, him being the oldest son and me being the youngest daughter.

We felt this same way when we went for the second ultrasound, which determines the gender of the baby. The man doing ultrasound was completely insensitive to the fact that we worried and required to know how the baby is doing, what part of his body he is checking and if it looks and feel alright. I agree, they will tell us if something is wrong, but sometimes it does not hurt to tell the eager parents about the baby in little more details – especially it is completely unnecessary to explain how ultrasound is not like 1-2-3 and then keep hmmm…May be it was 37th ultrasound of the day for him but It was our baby and our only chance to get closer look at his/her health for the rest of the pregnancy.
Is that too much to ask?

Ready with my experiences from last pregnancy I did not have any expectations; I can not deny that there were some earlier.

But my child is no less special to me, by any means. Guess this is how it is with every parent. Because I know I am not going to have so many that I lose the charm of caring for my angel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है