Roots calling


Rooted and went to new house
Originally uploaded by yoshiko314

Recently, I read a blog where the blogger talked about how our roots call out to us as we get old.
It got me thinking. As I always like to plan ahead for things to happen in future, I was not worried about what will I do when my roots call out for me instead I started thinking what I can leave behind for my boys.
Talking about roots, there will be few things they might try to find out about.
The faith/ religion
I do not think Hindus are that kind of minority which will lose its foot print in a generation or so. Growing up in NJ within the close knit circle of friends and families I presume faith and religion will be intact.
Next is the question of celebrating festivities. Since it is our tendency to adjust the actual festival with the approaching weekend/weather, it will be too much to expect that they won’t do otherwise.
Still celebrating the festivals the way they are supposed to, including most of the rituals (possible) and delicacies can leave memories they will cherish and be happy to relive.
May be we can try to document those, not that there are tons of website having every details of those.
We have to make what is important to our families and in our own ways. Even though the whole India celebrates Holi, Diwali and Dussehra. The rituals to be performed differ in state to the family level.
So it requires that we leave behind a trace of our style.
The family history
Undoubtedly, most of the extended family and cousins will be on the other side of the globe. Though the trips to India will have some memories but the connection and bonding will be lost. The grandparents won’t be there to reach at. With time, the memories might fade too. There is also a possibility that some of them will join our kids in this foreign country and there will be fresh start. What if, they are on their own and want to trace back.
This is something for which I do not really have any immediate plan.
And I am still thinking about it….
Any suggestion?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है