Friends Forever


Friends Forever
Originally uploaded by prabhaJha

Total 29 days to go before I am a suburban housewife again, this time also mother of two boys.
I spoke to my boss today and he looked quite excited with the idea of getting a replacement.
I am also very thrilled because my best friend had a baby girl; being mother of a boy I know how much it means to her. It means a lot to me too, can not wait to see her tonight.
That was on Wednesday 7/29 and the day I can not forget easily. I was planning to be home at time to go see the newborn. It was raining since morning with thunderstorm, though I started early enough I was surprised as I walked in to the World Trade Center Path station. It was very crowded and I had to elbow in to reach the platform. I could see cops and it seemed like some kind of emergency situation. I called my husband who was also to take the same route to home 2 hrs later. I boarded the train with others as they allowed. The train moved and we all too a sigh of relief. After the second stop at Journal Square station it was announced that t it won’t go beyond for signal problem. We only found out later that it was fallen trees and other debris on track. I had to go till the last stop to get my train home. Bewildered I got off the train with hundred others already on the platform, I noticed my next door neighbor walking next to me. I started talking and asked him if he will want to share a cab. I checked my wallet and I had only $7, which wasn’t enough. As we climbed the escalator out , a girl who was a college student asked us if we would like to share a cab with her. That was three now and we headed to the street only to find a line of about 200 people waiting for cabs. This seemed hopeless and she (we never asked each-other’s name) suggested we take a bus#1 that will take us to the station we wanted to go to. Heading to the bus depot I saw a familiar face. It was wife of my husband’s colleague I met on their office picnic only last weekend. She joined us as well, and because her cell phone just died , used my mobile to let her husband know about her where about. Coincidently Praveen and he were at the same office party. Now we boarded a bus which was taking us to a nearby train station at Hoboken.
After a ride of 20 minutes in thunder storms and rain, we were dropped off only to discover there is no train to the station we were trying to arrive. My neighbor was frustrated and did not want to board the train that was being suggested by cops there. It was like taking another detour, well I was seeing no other option and hopped on the train with Manjula.
It was just one stop from Hoboken to Secaucus from where I could actually get the train to Metuchen. As I climbed the escalator back to platform for NJ Transit trains my neighbor walked by asking me to “Not leave him around” and we all laughed. This platform was a lot calmer than the earlier stations and we started looking at the train schedules in route. I called Dolly di to look up online for the next train and she found out that the next train to Metuchen from Secaucus is only after another 40 minutes. I couldn’t wait that long and had to look for alternate option. In the mean time arrived a train to manjula’s station and she left. The train was jam packed and I did not want to board that even if it would drop me somewhat closer to my house. After 3 minutes there was another train scheduled for a different route but had a stop which was 3 miles from my home. This seemed better option than waiting 40 minutes and I called Dolly di to request a pick-up. As always she agreed to help and came to rescue. I was with her in the car after 25 minutes, half soaked, very exhausted and famished. She regretted that she did not bring something to eat on the way. That was so kind. I was home in next 10 minutes and the street was all dark because of power failure. My 5 year old was on the porch with his grand mothers, waiting eagerly. Me and Dolly di got into a very interesting and deep discussion on relationships on route. Back to home my 5month old was rolling his eyes to dark house and bright candles on table. I started eating everything I could get my hands on and it was actually very soothing for those 30 minutes till the power was restored. Pratyush discovered that he couldn’t get water from fridge and the TV, lights or AC were not functioning. It was learning experience and I wish it happens more often. Seriously , these kids are so deprived of natural living. Pratyush thought it was like camping at home.
This commute from office to home was over 3 hours and I made up my mind about quitting the very moment, I held Praket.
Communicated with my bosses and HR , I feel somewhat low and drained. I also look forward to my trip to India and spending more time with my boys.

Comments

Unknown said…
ur friends are sooooooo gorgeous butttttttttt uuuuuuuuuuuuu
r even more!!!!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है