I know you


GA National Fair - Man at cafeteria
Originally uploaded by idyllopus


I ventured the cafeteria on my own, again. It was 5th time since Alta left. I just prefer to bring from home than going alone. Everything looked as awful, as it mostly does. Since I must get something to relieve my hunger, I picked some rice and asparagus. As I headed to the cashier I realized I was not carrying my wallet for the first time ever. For a moment I thought I would just leave the food there somewhere and head out, which seemed selfish as I would waste the food like that.
Confused, I thought of giving it a shot with Val.
I walked up with my food, after making sure no one was behind me in the ear shot. I asked her if she could keep my food until I come back with my card. She charged and asked me to bring the money later may be tomorrow.
I asked her if she will give me a receipt so she can remember how much it was. She was too late for the receipt and I was unsure how is she ever going to know how much did I owe.
I asked “How will you know, how much was it?”
Val looked straight in my eyes, with one of her look “I know you”.

If it wasn’t for Alta, I wouldn’t have known her name. As I walked out with my food, I wondered isn’t what happiness is all about. These little humane interactions and sharing things make things better and easier for others. Makes this world a better place to live. A simple smile uplifts the grey clouds. These little acts of understanding and care confirm that our lives are not meaningless. In fact this is what actually matters, the most.

Comments

Alta Boover said…
well now I can finally comment on your blog!

You need to get out more at work! Go get an ice cream or something ;) I'm glad that Val is taking care of you.

Eat a cookie for me

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है