Back from The Dream..After visitng Warm place and warm people of Bahamas

Today morning I woke up and started unpacking. I emptied my purse and the backpack which doubled as diaper bag for my 1 year old- It poured out some white sand. This sand had travelled with me from the Islands of Bahamas. I felt the sand and lingered at the moments I spent in Paradise Island. No wonder those are considered the "World's best Beaches". Friends believe me! If you have not seen Caribbean, you have not seen ocean.
It was just another evening when my husband got home, tired of a day long working day (the NY working day – especially with office on Wall Street) and suggested that we take a vacation. I had no clue, he would suggest Bahamas. He spoke to another friend of his who (Equally tired and frustrated with long day) agreed to come with us right away.
We planned for almost a month for the trip. It started with a trip to library and getting books on places to see at Bahamas. Well all I did was looking at pictures and some basic facts about the country. We took a 3 bedroom townhouse on the Paradise Island with a swimming pool. We shopped for flip flops, cloth for beach, sun glasses and other knick knacks. We also packed some food to make our stay easier in a foreign country (USA is home now).
After spending a whole day at my friend’s salon I was all set.
We boarded the flight from Newark International airport, still wearing shoes and jackets. The 3 hours long flight seemed too long with rising excitement and lack of food. They served only burgers with beef patties and 3 of us (yes including my 6 year old) ended up eating a bowl of lettuce for lunch. While we had it with the dressing, Pratyush fed himself (for the first time in life) with ketchup.
We flocked to the windows when it started to descend; the color of ocean was just outstanding. Long empty natural and turquoise beaches were as far as we could see. Warm air and warm people welcomed us into Bahamas. The taxi took us to our condo at “Living in Paradise” complex. On our way we saw roads lined with banana, palm, hibiscus and coconut trees all around. Though it is left side driving, there were the right side cars as well in almost equal number. After the busy streets in Nassau downtown the taxi rolled onto the bridge to Paradise Island. On the other side of bridge we witnessed breathtaking resorts of Atlantis, giant cruises, multiple ferries and brightly colored houses.
My 6 year old kept saying how much it felt, looked and smelled like India.
After dropping off the luggage we got changed and started to look for the beach which was a short walk away. Pratyush rolled himself on the sand as soon as he could. Wish I could do that too but it was almost evening and we were not prepared for it. Our friends joined us in the evening as they were in another flight which arrived few hours later.
The next whole day was spent at the Cabbage beach which included massage for adults and a Jet Ski ride on the waves. My little one kept searching for rocks under crystal clear water and I bet he tasted few morsels of sand as well. Our friends Jet Ski boat flipped over and while they were saved by the divers, they had a dangerous experience. Their 8 year old boy was also with them and he swore he is not getting on it again.
After tanning, and relaxing we returned only to plunge in the pool until sunset.
Next day we took the ferry to Blue Lagoon Island. Every second on the ferry, we were mesmerized by the changing color of water and the magnificent resorts and boats by the ocean. It was hard to take eyes off and also hard to decide what to look at.
The lagoon had calm waters which was clear as glass. Stretched across an island with maximum depth of 6 feet, it was walkble across the lagoon. Water was comparably warmer as well. Kids enjoyed a canoe and water bike ride on it as we relaxed on the hammocks under coconut tree. The day went by in a wink giving us memories for life time. Various kinds of fishes swam in group of hundreds around our feet as we soaked ourselves.
As we returned we planned for a daring adventure underwater for next day. As it was not allowed for kids our friends and we decided to go for it in two shifts. Our friends left in morning leaving the kids with us. We packed at 11:30 AM with kids to board a bus going to Stuart’s Cove located at an end of New Providence Island. It took us almost an hour to get there on the bus. We exchanged the kids who headed to spend rest of day at another beach and downtown. Now it was just 2 of us for next 4 hours of expedition. We were given some training on going under water by one of the trained divers. Later we also found that Akshay Kumar and others used the same boat when they were shooting for the movie Blue. Their team stayed there for 6 months while shooting and it was the same guy training them. We wore wetsuits to keep us warm underwater (hoped it will also protect us from Shark teeth if attacked). The ferry carried us (a group of 11) in middle of the ocean for almost 45 minutes. I asked the divers about changing colors and he informed the dark ocean means a cliff underwater which can be anywhere between 6000ft-9000ft deep. The brown green water meant Coral reefs and blue turquoise water meant shallow waters at various depths.
We were put on an individual sub, which is like a small seat with a bubble to accommodate our head inside. It was connected to an oxygen tank attached with our seats. We were trained to communicate in signs. I felt loss of breath as they lowered us and also as it my ears will burst at the next moment. I asked them to bring me out, which they fortunately did not and gave instructions to equalize ears. I followed as the lowered me further down, I was the last one to get under water. What I witnessed was another world. Fishes flocked to our masks in varying sizes and colors. I felt like an invader into their territory. I thought it was a dream until I touched them. The colorful reefs under my feet are beyond words for description. I am really at loss of words….
We saw sharks swimming by us within 10 feet; they were at least 5-6 feet long. They were not bothered by us as long as we did not bother them or may be they were just full.
As we climbed off after 30 minutes underwater, it was hard to believe what we saw was real. I felt completely sea sick and swore I am never going on a cruise trip.
This experience is just surreal and unbelievable that we came that close to shark which could have swallowed any of us in a fraction of second. As the ferry left for island, we saw large stingrays and bunch of sharks chasing behind. Guess it was just a game.
Underwater I came across face to face to a white fish and as it turned, I saw a clear “Aum” written in black under its eye. I wondered if that was a sign.
I kept thinking about it and I still wonder, as I can only wonder.

I can not really describe the experiences in words as It will need too many of them, so I will wrap it here.
Just to mention - that we rented and rode a motor bike. I screamed my lungs out as we crossed the bridge. Spent a day in magnificent Atlantis water resort, park and world’s largest aquarium. We also thanked god that we did not stay there for the whole trip or we could have missed to see real Bahamas. We had coconut water and chikoo (which is not available in USA). We did some shopping for souvenirs at world famous straw market. We visited the Cloisters, got braiding done.
We took tons of pictures that we will upload soon. Precisely it was the best place I had ever been to and is highly recommendable.
With emotions overwhelming and heavy heart we all boarded our plane back home.
My friend truly said that these memories are all that we will keep in our hearts and no one can take from us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है