Mommy Eyes

My son had this habit of thumb sucking. It started as early as about 7 months and my efforts to curb started at almost the same time, but it took over 4 years and various tricks. Starting from putting sock on followed by applications of garlic/ginger/bitter guard and clove oils. They all failed, obviously. Finally it was during a trip to India while we also used this oil named Mavala STOP, which was terribly bitter and lasted for days once applied. Or maybe he just grew out of it under the impression that he is going to start Kindergarten soon and might get teased.
Besides the tricks mentioned above, I also told my son that I have mommy eyes and I can see him from anywhere I am. No matter how far or where is he, I can see him so he better not duck himself and suck his thumb assuming I am not aware. Well he is way too smart to agree to that, but I am smarter. I gathered information from around his day care and teachers and proved to him that I can see him. Sometimes I just made guesses which turned out to be true. He made me go through various tests and verification before he established the idea. Sometime he would make up things and say he did that just to confuse me. Those were done with such preciseness that I would actually buy that sometime. After many encounters, random enquiries and endless questionnaires he was finally convinced that I could see him and hear him (also hear people around him). He believes mommy’s eye is somewhere within her heart which is not entirely wrong either.
Now that the habit is gone with all other things, he is still convinced. Though he still throws queries just to make sure from time-to-time.
For instance , did you see me swim today?
“Of course! And you bumped into a kid while doing backstroke.
Yes, Who did I bump into.
Well I cant see that, I am not his mommy you know.
Right!
And by the way, you need to improve on that, keep practicing - dint your teacher say that?
He will nod and walk away feeling helpless that there is no way after all that he can get away from mommy eyes.

Comments

dollyjha said…
I love the heading and idea ,it si so true and feel good for a MOM.

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है