Kant’s theory

How does Kant's Moral Theory affect you as an individual worker as well as the greater workplace? Before getting into the affects, I would like to provide a concise description of Kant’s Moral Theory. Kant believed that our motives are in our control and we are responsible for our motives to do good or bad. He also objects to basing morality on the consequences of our action because people have intrinsic values and ought not to be used. Affects as an individual worker and on the greater workplace Due to the nature and scope of the theory I am unable to segregate the affect to an individual from the workplace. The affects can also be combined knowing topic of morality here goes further than relativism. I would like to make an argument to outline positive and negative affects this belief may present to both. Now, believing in Kant’s theory I am responsible to make sure that my actions have good intentions. According to Kant, if there is something we morally ought to do, we do it no matter what. So the belief prevails and I and my coworkers feel a moral obligation towards the actions we take. This is a very good standard to start with and can be generalized to great extent to have an overall positive impact. Now let’s take a scenario where I call customer service to pay a cell phone bill on behalf of my friend who had a surgery and cannot speak. In order to do so I am actually accessing confidential account information from bank as well as wireless perspective. My intentions are only to help my friend who is in hospital and cannot do it themselves. The customer service representative is not supposed to share the information with anyone but the account holder. Though she knows my friend and is also aware of the surgery. Me and the CS are both only responsible for own actions to be well intentioned and not the consequences. If the bill stays unpaid my friend will lose the only way her overseas family can reach her as a consequence. Now with all good intentions, the representative lets me pay the bill for my ailing friend violating confidentiality and company policy. Can this be justified as morally correct because both individuals involved took well intentioned actions? Another example can be the case of South African Olympian Oscar Pistorius who is now formally charged in the murder of his girlfriend model. His act of shooting through door had good intention as he suspected an intruder. Kant does not believe that morality is a function of producing good consequences but as long as the motives are good the act is moral. Assuming it was an intruder and not his girlfriend, could that possibly have been considered a moral act? References: Mackinnon, Barbara (2013). Ethics: Theory and Contemporary Issues. Boston, Massachusetts: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning Larry Mcshane AND Julian Rademeyer In Pretoria, South Africa “South African Olympian Oscar Pistorius formally charged in the murder of his girlfriend model” Retrieved from: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/blade-runner-pistorius-court-article-1.1265040#ixzz2WgILSxSB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है