Reading in Hindi.

Reading in Hindi.

Yes, finally after many months (I do not address time in years unless
its over 5 years and its not) I got hold of a Hindi short stories book.
Thanks to a Kaki Mrs. Kalpana Mishra, She is sister of Manju Chaudhary
(Owner-NIIT BKP and few more) also a colleague of my Father-in-Law from
Sahrasa college. They happen to be our neighbors from Saharsa while her
son lives in PA, an hour drive from our house in NJ. Also her
daughter-in-law Pallavi is one of my closest friends now. She was
visiting NJ and really liked visiting her, inviting her and talking to
her. The last time I met her it was in Pallavi's house and I saw this
Hindi book which was already read. I asked her if I can borrow it and I
knew she won't say no. It was wonderful to get it and today I started
reading it in train. I know people around me must be looking at the
script and I am proud I m reading a book in a language they can not. Of
course the on lookers include a lot and lot of Indians. Who cares the
first short story I already finished, there are 3 more. I do not want
the book to get over and I am done reading it. When I am finished I can
return it to her though and may be she has more books. How greedy!!
Last night I sat down with Ramayana and Pratyush came over asking me
what it is written. I have not put in much effort towards teaching him
the Devnagari script though he can speak flawless un-accented Hindi. I
told him it's the story of Ram I told you about and he kept asking about
Ravan and Hanuman and Sita. I showed him some picture. This Sampurn
Ramayan in large script was bought by me 5 years back when I found out
about Pratyush. I used to read the book every afternoon. Though couldn't
finish it.
Well, Last night I went through the pages of Sunder Kand and recited the
lines in my mind. I felt transformed as I remembered myself when I was
some 8 years old. I used to read those almost every morning after taking
the shower sitting on floor. I started laughing and Pratyush asked me
"What is it" and I told him how I used to read this book when I was a
kid. He heard me and got carried away as he got a print out from his dad
with English alphabet and started looking for a scissor. I gave him one
and he dint sleep until he carefully cut out all 26 of them on the line
it was supposed to, well almost. I sat with him reading a book while he
did that and finally retired in his room on his bed.

I want to buy more books in Hindi when I visit India next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मर्यादा

वट सावित्री

प्रेम है